Single Family Homes, Houses, Condos, Townhomes, Townhouses, Investment Properties, Land and Real Estate in Yantis, Texas
Yantis Real Estate
The area that became Yantis was reportedly settled initially by Harry M. Matthews as early as 1860. By 1870, a gristmill and cotton gin in the area were bring operated by J. Singleton. The community was served by the Quitman post office until 1885, when it received its own post office. the town was named for its first postmaster, George R. Yantis. George Yantis also ran a gritsmill and gin in the community around 1890.
By 1896, the area had its own justice, bailiff, sheriff, two churches, and five schools. By 1914, the town had a phone connection and 21 businesses including Yantis State Bank. Population peaked in the 1930s at 500. The discovery of the Yantis Oilfield in 1947 did not have a lasting impact on the community. Yantis incorporated as a municipality in the late 1960s.